This is one of those times where we ask, do you want the good news or the bad news first? Okay, we will start with the bad….
BAD NEWS: Maintaining your home’s carpets is not easy. Daily wear and tear definitely take their toll on the appearance and sometimes leave you moving furniture or placing rugs in weird or awkward spots to cover up unsightly spots on the floor.
GOOD NEWS: There are a variety of things you can do to help prolong the life and beauty of your carpet or area rug that are fairly easy to do and help reduce the amount of dirt on or in your carpet & area rugs!
- Regularly Vacuum: Rooms that are considered to be “high traffic” should be vacuumed at least 2 to 3 times a week. This keeps the material from becoming worn down by dirt and traffic, and ensures a clean new look every time. All other areas of the house that also have carpet should be vacuumed at least once a week. Depending on the type of carpet you have, you’ll want to use a vacuum with a rotating brush, a beater bar, or suction only. (Be sure to know what vacuum is recommended for your carpet or area rug by checking with the manufacturers guidelines.) Also, keeping traffic and other use factors in mind, consider professional cleaning every 12 to18 months unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer.
- Wipe Your Feet: Place a welcome mat on the outside step of your front and back door to help minimize the amount of dirt and other debris that is tracked into the house and on to your carpet or area rug.
- Clean Spots & Spills Immediately: Not only will a quick clean reduce the rate of absorption but it also helps reduce the bacteria and other problems associated with a spill. It’s important to note though that before you use a new spot or stain removal product, you should conduct a spot test first. Area rugs should also be tested for colorfastness to see if their colors bleed through before placing them on your carpet.
- Underneath the Rug: Loose dirt and other forms of debris and even dust particles can become trapped in the space between your carpets and rugs, and also in the carpet itself. Occasionally vacuuming underneath area rugs you have spread throughout your home will drastically reduce the presence of such pollutants and ensure a longer lifecycle for your carpet and rugs.
- Furniture: Consider cleaning your furniture anytime you go to clean the carpet. Furniture can also entrap unwanted dirt or dust particles, and can work to hinder your efforts at keeping your carpet clean.
- Got Snags?: Whatever you do, DO NOT PULL on snags that appear in the rug or carpet as you might damage it. Use scissors to clip them.
At Avalon Flooring, we want to make sure you’re happy from your first step in our showroom to your first step on your new flooring—and as your partner in home design, we’ll be there every step along the way. Consider us your “One-Stop Shopping” destination for all things flooring…(and window treatments)!
Our design consultants are equipped with the knowledge to guide you through the wide selection of products we offer, and our expert installation team is professionally trained to make sure everything gets installed the way you envision. We know your home is an expression of your sense of style, and we’re here to make sure you’ll be proud of it for years to come.