The terms “ceramic” and “porcelain” often get thrown around interchangeably, but they’re not one and the same. Here are some important differences to keep in mind as you consider your options:
How They’re Made
Both porcelain and ceramic tiles are similarly manufactured from baking clays, however what really separates them is their density and durability.
- Ceramic tiles are more delicate and less porous meaning they can easily absorb water.
- Porcelain tiles are fired at higher temperatures for a longer time than ceramic, which makes them more durable and denser—practically completely water-resistant
Another factor that sets them apart is their appearance. With today’s technology and ever changing trends, both tiles can be any color or pattern imaginable.
- Porcelain’s color or design is carried through its entire body. So if they happen to get chipped, it’s not as obvious.
- Ceramic tile designs and colors are printed on the surface and protected with a type of glaze. So if it gets chipped, it’ll be more noticeable since the body of the tile is a different color than the surface.
While both ceramic and porcelain are less expensive than most renovation materials, their price differences are due to their density differences. With that said, porcelain tiles are more expensive than ceramic tiles.
- Ceramic tiles, since they’re more delicate, are perfect for areas that don’t have excessive traffic. And with the vast amount of colors and design options available, they’re perfect for accent walls and kitchen back splashes.
- Porcelain tiles are typically more durable so they’re great to use on exterior walls, countertops or even as flooring (both indoors and outdoors!)
There are pros and cons for each type of tile, but there’s no denying that each one is a great addition to any space renovation. It’s just always a good idea to weigh your options before making a decision.
At Avalon Flooring, we want to make sure you’re happy from your first step in our showroom to your first step on your new flooring—and as your partner in home design, we’ll be there every step along the way. Consider us your “One-Stop Shopping” destination for all things flooring…(and window treatments)!
Our design consultants are equipped with the knowledge to guide you through the wide selection of products we offer, and our expert installation team is professionally trained to make sure everything gets installed the way you envision. We know your home is an expression of your sense of style, and we’re here to make sure you’ll be proud of it for years to come.
If you have any questions, please email us.