Natural stone is both beautiful and timeless, offering a high-quality look to many areas in the home. And, in addition to its natural beauty, stone offers great durability which is why it is often used where durability matters most: countertops, entrance ways, and outdoor areas. Today there are many types of natural stone flooring to choose from, each with their own advantages. Take a look:
There are also important do’s, don’ts and maintenance tips that are helpful for keeping all natural stone looking brand new for years to come.
- Use a sealant on your stone surfaces when they’re installed and be sure to refresh. Ask one of our design experts about which is the best sealant for you to use and how often you should reseal.
- Blot up spills immediately
- Dust mop your stone floors frequently
- Protect your floors with non-slip mats or area rugs
- Don’t wipe spills because it will cause it to spread
- Don’t use products that contain lemon juice, vinegar and other acids on marble, limestone or travertine. The acidity will mar the surface.
- Don’t use abrasive materials like steel wool, microfiber scrub pads, scrapers or abrasive cleansers on your natural stone surfaces, as they will definitely scratch the surface
- Don’t use ammonia-based cleansers, as they will dull the surface
Along with these simple tips to help protect your natural stone, there’s also an easy way to clean and maintain as well:
- Vacuum or sweep the floor to remove any dirt particles
- Fill a bucket with a gallon of warm water and either use just the water or mix in a small amount of either recommended cleaner, dish soap or a simple neutral all-purpose cleaner. (Again, if you have any questions, ask one of our design experts during your purchase)
- Dip a microfiber towel into the bucket, ring out thoroughly, attach to the mop handle and begin cleaning or use a regular wet mop
- Wash floors by starting at the outmost corner of the room and working methodically towards the room exit
- Allow the floors to air dry
As you can see, natural stone is always a good choice when looking to change your flooring. It adds character and value to your home and of course easy to maintain—sounds like a win win! Now the only unanswered question is, which one will you be choosing for your renovation?
At Avalon Flooring, we want to make sure you’re happy from your first step in our showroom to your first step on your new flooring—and as your partner in home design, we’ll be there every step along the way. Consider us your “One-Stop Shopping” destination for all things flooring…(and window treatments)!
Our design consultants are equipped with the knowledge to guide you through the wide selection of products we offer, and our expert installation team is professionally trained to make sure everything gets installed the way you envision. We know your home is an expression of your sense of style, and we’re here to make sure you’ll be proud of it for years to come.
If you have any questions, please email us.