Our radiant heat floors will help you forget that before we know it, winter will hit our little corner of the world, so now is a perfect time to remind you that your home should serve as a sanctuary of comfort for you and your family. Stepping onto the ice-cold bathroom floor is a cruel way to start your day. So, what if we told you that you can bring comfort and warmth to your floor with a floor heating system? We imagine you would be pretty interested to learn more!
Heated floors are the answer you have been waiting for to warm up floors that are naturally cold, like tile. One of the most popular products on the market is the Nuheat Floor Heating System which is an easy-to-install upgrade feature that essentially radiates heat to your feet, warming you and starting your morning routine on the right foot!
How do the heated floors work?
The Nuheat Floor Heating Systemis an electric radiant system, meaning that it uses heat from the current traveling through the wire, which is the most comfortable and energy efficient form of heating. It is installed by using either mats or a cable, however mats are the most popular choice as they are customizable in size and can fit just about any room with curves and angles. It is important to note that this heating system must be installed prior to the final floor covering goes down, so if you want it under an existing floor, it will need to be ripped up.
What are the benefits?
- First and foremost, radiant heat flooring systems are durable and reliable and in some cases are even capable of outlasting your home furnace. With proper care and maintenance, a floor heating system can last for many years. For example, Nuheat offers a 25-year warranty on their products!
- It can save money, too. Heated floors warm a room from the floor up. As a result, most people will feel more comfortable with their thermostat set at a lower temperature.
- In-floor radiant heat does not use a blower, so it doesn’t create extra noise. Minimizing use of a central air heating system, which can push dust, dirt, pollen and other allergens through the vents, is also better for allergy sufferers.
- Electric radiant floor heating systems, which come as mats that can be easily installed underneath the flooring from below. They are a good solution if you only want heated floors in certain rooms.
- Perhaps the most exciting feature of this product is its programmable abilities. The Nuheat Floor Heating System is capable of being programmed to utilize different temperatures and to activate at different times. This further contributes to the energy efficiency of the product, as well as its convenience. Should you want to have the heat on while you are awake and off while you are sleeping, you can program it to do so. Better yet, it can all be controlled via an app on a smartphone utilizing wifi on the Signature Thermostat. This all ties into the smart home technology that has been growing at a rapid rate. Home appliances are now increasingly becoming more tied into a single system from which the homeowner can control them.
What Flooring Does It Work Best With?
Some flooring options work better than others when it comes to radiant heating. Here are the best options to use with it:
Porcelain and ceramic tile are great conductors of heat, so your home will get the full benefit of the NuHeat Floor Heating System. Also, tile flooring won’t expand as it warms or even contract as it cools, which means it won’t crack!
Laminate is known to have the look of hardwood or even tile flooring, but without the high price. It also does a great job when over radiant heat flooring. The laminate material is built up with layers of wood that runs in opposite directions. This helps create a more stable flooring material than solid hardwood. It also won’t expand or contract, which is another reason why this is a good choice to pair with NuHeat.
Engineered Hardwood Flooring
Like laminate, it’s also produced in layers so it has a more stable base that won’t react to the heating and cooling process. The top layer, also called the wear layer, is solid wood and comes in all the same varieties that you’ll find with actual solid hardwood flooring.
Natural Stone Flooring
Travertine, sandstone, granite and other types of natural flooring heat very nicely. Even though stone is always thought of as a cold material, when warm water is running under it, you’ll love walking on it barefoot in the middle of January!
The ones you should avoid are carpet, vinyl and solid hardwood. Carpet will prevent some of the heat from transferring through into your home. Even though carpet is not a good choice and shouldn’t be used, you can use a few area rugs in your space, but make sure to avoid large area rugs. Vinyl isn’t a good choice either. The heat might actually discolor it or even cause the off-gassing of chemicals. And with solid hardwood, the heat will cause it to swell, buckle, crown or even crack because of the temperature changes of the seasons.
So, it’s clear to see that NuHeat Floor Heating System is an easy and energy efficient way to warm your home, and to keep your toes cozy. To learn more about it and check it out in person, stop by one of our 14 locations and our design experts will help you make the right decision!
At Avalon Flooring, we want to make sure you’re happy from your first step in our showroom to your first step on your new flooring—and as your partner in home design, we’ll be there every step along the way. Consider us your “One-Stop Shopping” destination for all things flooring…(and window treatments)!
Our design consultants are equipped with the knowledge to guide you through the wide selection of products we offer, and our expert installation team is professionally trained to make sure everything gets installed the way you envision. We know your home is an expression of your sense of style, and we’re here to make sure you’ll be proud of it for years to come.
If you have any questions, please email us.