Tips on How to Clean Vinyl Floors
Thanks to characteristics like high durability and water resistance, vinyl flooring is exceptionally easy to keep clean and looking like new. However, it is important to remember that it is still susceptible to normal “wear” – especially in high traffic areas. The key to maintenance for any floor is it find ways to minimize damage and follow routine maintenance recommendations.These expert tips will show you how to clean vinyl floors, and keep them looking like the first day they were installed.
Tips for the Best Way to Clean Your Vinyl Floors
- The best way to clean vinyl floors is to use a soft bristle broom to remove loose dirt.
- For everyday care beyond sweeping, use a damp mop as needed with clean water.
- Spills should be cleaned up immediately with a non-abrasive, manufacturer-recommended floor cleaner. And don’t use scrub brushes!
- Avoid harsh cleaning chemicals (bleach and ammonia) or “mop & shine” products which tend to leave a dull film on vinyl flooring.
- Review manufacturer guidelines for your flooring before using a steam mop. Steam mops may cause damage to vinyl floors due to the high temperatures they reach.
Tips for Long-Term Vinyl Floor Maintenance
- Never push, pull, or drag furniture across vinyl floors. Always lift and carry.
- Heavy furniture or appliances that are not moved often should be equipped with flat, non-staining floor protectors.
- Avoid using a vacuum with a “beater bar”. Most vacuums today come equipped with a “bare floor” setting and engaging this will help avoid damaging your vinyl floor.
- Consider investing in high-quality floor mats for an extra layer of protection.
- Place the mats at entrances and exits to collect and trap corrosive substances that can be tracked in, such as dirt, sand, oil, grit, asphalt, and even driveway sealer.
For more tips on maintaining and cleaning your vinyl flooring, we recommend you check out the World Floor Covering Association’s website too!
Recommended Post: Carpet & Area Rugs Cleaning Tips
At Avalon Flooring, we want to make sure you’re happy from your first step in our showroom to your first step on your new flooring—and as your partner in home design, we’ll be there every step along the way. Consider us your “One-Stop Shopping” destination for all things flooring…(and window treatments)!
Our design consultants are equipped with the knowledge to guide you through the wide selection of products we offer, and our expert installation team is professionally trained to make sure everything gets installed the way you envision. We know your home is an expression of your sense of style, and we’re here to make sure you’ll be proud of it for years to come.
If you have any questions, please email us.