Plush carpet can perfectly be described in both its appearance and texture. It's soft carpet that is, elegant, luxurious—plush, a real treat for your feet!
This style of carpet has a pile that's cut in a smooth, even way that gives the carpet a very soft feel. During manufacturing, the tufts are sheared to make the plush pile perfectly flat. It's made in many different, solid colors and its attractive look makes plush one of the most popular carpet styles on the market.
Like any major purchase for your home, it's smart to weigh all the pros and cons before making a decision. That's where we come in.
Pros of Plush Carpet
- Durable: Plush carpet is one of the more durable forms of carpet available. It's manufactured for not only comfort but also heavy foot traffic, making it perfect for living rooms and bedrooms.
- Versatile: Plush carpets are available in a wide variety of colors. They can cover a wide range of decorative themes and styles. This, combined with its comfort, makes plush one of the most popular carpets on the market.
- Aesthetic: The versatility and soft texture of plush carpet lend a visually appeal that will beautifully compliment any décor style you're trying to achieve in your space.
Although plush carpet does a lot to amp up the look of your home, like any material, there are some drawbacks.
Cons of Plush Carpet
- Shows Indentations: Because of the fiber pile of plush carpet is so light, it's easily indented by furniture. Regular upkeep with a vacuum will also leave indentations; however, these are quickly swept away with new foot traffic.
- Risk of Watermarking: Plush pile carpet has a higher risk of watermarking than other forms of carpet. Watermarking is the result of permanent pile reversal in localized areas. These areas tend to have irregular shapes and appear in darker, more shaded areas; making it look like the carpet is wet. This is a normal occurrence for this type of carpet and is not considered a manufacturing defect.
Cleaning Plush Carpet
There are also a few steps you can take to clean and maintain your plush carpet to make it last for many years.
Clean Regularly: Regular vacuuming is important to maintaining the look and feel of plush carpeting. Vacuum at least twice a week and more often if you have it in a high traffic area. Dirt and grime left behind will wear down the fabric and even discolor it.
Take Care of Spills Immediately: If you have a wet spill, use paper towels to blot the moisture immediately. Avoid blotting outwards and spreading the stain. If needed, use a recommended cleaner to get rid of any stains. Clean thoroughly and remove all the remnants of the cleaner with cold water--never rub the carpet.
Avoid Keeping Heavy Objects and Furniture Stationary: It's a good idea to move heavy items and furniture around. If left stationary for long periods of time, the weight will crush the piles, making it look flat and unappealing. So by moving the heavy items from time to time, the thick plush carpet will have a more even look overall.
Use Doormats: Avoid wearing outdoor shoes on plush carpet. The dirt and grime on the underside is easily ground into the carpet fiber, making it more difficult to clean. Using doormats near every entry point of the home will collect most of the mold and dirt, so you can avoid tracking a lot of it on your plush carpet.
Protect from Sunlight: Constant exposure to sunlight causes the carpet to fade over time. To avoid this, use your window treatments to protect your carpet from even the brightest days!
Use Recommended Cleaning Products: Avoid using ordinary soap and detergent on your plush carpet. Ask one of our design experts what the best cleaner would be. Then, test the cleaner on a small inconspicuous spot.
Plush carpet is a great choice for any home. But with any material you consider for your renovation, you have to ask yourself if it's the right choice for your home. So with these helpful factors, you can weigh the pros and cons and successfully make a decision.
At Avalon Flooring, we want to make sure you're happy from your first step in our showroom to your first step on your new flooring—and as your partner in home design, we'll be there every step along the way. Consider us your "One-Stop Shopping" destination for all things flooring…(and window treatments)!
Our design consultants are equipped with the knowledge to guide you through the wide selection of products we offer, and our expert installation team is professionally trained to make sure everything gets installed the way you envision. We know your home is an expression of your sense of style, and we're here to make sure you'll be proud of it for years to come.
If you have any questions, please email us.